We Climbed before the Klimb 4 Kim...

We Climbed before the Klimb 4 Kim...
1997's Climb

Friday, February 1, 2013

The Chapel





 
 
More mountains...!  Here's the Catalina's from atop the parking garage at St. Joseph's Hospital. 
 
I found, that when I parked, those mountains pulled my eyes to them like magnets.  Looking at the hospital itself, I tried to see the windows for each room that Kim stayed in...while giving birth to the bambini, and while fighting
 
I was there for a planning meeting, nearly the last one, for the new chapel.  John, the director of the Carondelet Foundation that administers Kim's Fund, led me through the construction site. 
 
 
This is a view as you enter from the east side of the site, just beyond the Outpatient entrance.

 
This cinder block wall will have Kim's name on it....

 
This will be a little seating and garden area.
 
I was stunned with how much progress had been made.  More so by the transformation of what was essentially a dirt lot, stuck between Outpatient and leading to the main set of elevators.  When I try to describe to people the new chapel's exact location, no one can quite pinpoint it.  In some ways, I am glad - because they have not had to be around the hospital so much that they had explored every garden, staircase, corridor...even the basement.
 
 
This will be the entrance into the chapel.  The existing rooftop to the second floor provides extra cover.

 
A garden/meditation area tucked behind Outpatient services.

 
These pillars have always been there, propping up 4 stories of hospital above.  Just beyond them, will be a sliding partition, that will open up the chapel for larger services/events. 
 
What I remember most about this soon to be forgotten (and never discovered by many) dirt lot, are the races the bambini and I had across the dirt, coming to see their Mama and taking them home again.  Their small footprints the only evidence that they had been there...
 
 
Inside is still a work in progress...

 
Straight ahead will be the altar.

 
I watched, amazed, as this hard working man made his way on stilts, applying mud to the ceiling.  I stopped him, apologetically, to ask if I could take his picture.  I told him the bambini would be fascinated.  He smiled and told me ok, for one hundred dollars!  His boss laughed harshly and told me to be sure to show my children - and tell them this is what they'd end up doing if they didn't do well in school.  I told him everyone contributes in what ever way they can.  I let him know that they were doing a great job and how important their work was to bring this chapel, where people could pray for loved ones, hospital workers could find strength to go on...a small place of peace.
 
After the meeting, John walked me towards the parking garage...but, I told him, I needed to run the stairs, as was my ritual.  I ran to the 5th floor and walked those hallways...
...then down to the 3rd, where I saw Alejandro, a patient transporter, who had wheeled Kim through the halls on her way to xrays, sonograms, surgeries.  We worked together at Kohl's...
Then, on to ICU, where I saw Vivian, a tech who brought so many smiles to Kim's face.  To the bambini's faces. 
And Dr. McCarten.  In charge of ICU.  The poor soul that had to tell Kim and I it was time to say goodbye to each other.  One of the most compassionate men I've ever met.  Who fought tirelessly to find a way...
...it was his last day at St. Joseph's, as he is moving on to Florida.
 
I always take a little bit away from that hospital, where I had left so much behind...
 
....and, as I got back into my truck...
 


                               ...once again, it was the mountains that captured me.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
                     

2 comments:

  1. Wow Dave- It's amazing to see it all coming together. And thank you for giving us far away folks a way to see the progress there. It looks wonderful. And those mountains- they are so beautiful and breathtaking. I miss them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, so, so amazing, Dave!! It's really neat to be able to see photos of the actual thing you've worked so tirelessly to achieve through Kim. :) Think of all who will benefit from this.

    ReplyDelete