We Climbed before the Klimb 4 Kim...

We Climbed before the Klimb 4 Kim...
1997's Climb

Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Do you have a story?


            One of the things that I truly love, is when I run into someone and they say 'I remember the time Kim...'  If you have any for me, please don't hesitate to let me know! It's especially great when they relate a story that I did not know about.  I tell the bambini stories nearly every day.  They always ask a lot of questions, not wanting to miss out on one detail, hanging on every word that I say.  The memories replay themselves, in my mind, in stunning clarity.  And, it's always nice to have her back for that moment...

             ...Labor Day fell on a Monday this year.  Wait, does it fall on a Monday every year?  The kids were off, and I thought I'd see if I could get them out to San Xavier for a Mass with me...Monday's are special at the Mission.  The Mass is held in a little side room to the south of the main church.  It has such atmosphere...and is comfortable, like a warm embrace.  If you get there a little early, everyone says a rosary together.



                              Even the wooden door is somehow inviting, in this tucked away little chapel.  Tonio, eyes closed against the rapidly rising sun, was excited to explore this room of the Mission he had never seen.
                              When Tonio opened his eyes, to his immense delight, a brilliant, green hummingbird was enjoying the vibrant orange flowers on the red bird of paradise just to his right.  "DAD!!!! It's Mama saying 'good morning!'!!!!  We bring Kimmy where ever we go...or is she just following us?

 
These two sure love each other.  Oh, they get on each other nerves, but they are largely inseparable, telling each other that 'love you', at least three times a day, melting my heart each and every time.  It does not get old.
We arrived just in time for Mass - there are only 5 rows of rustic benches.  And my favorite church lady, Mary, was getting ready to begin the Mass...
 
The feeling of peace...and Kim's presence...envelops you in the Diego chapel...we sat next to this golden cherub.
 


                                    Mary of Guadalupe in all of her glory - one of my favorite stories!

 
A statue of Juan Diego beneath an ornate wall hanging.

 
And a beautiful statue of Mary in front of a window alcove.
 
 
 



 
Here is where the Host is kept.

 
And the altar - great stencling around the crucifix.

 
 
We were married here...and had been all over the grounds, bell tower, baptism room (where Cody was baptized), center courtyard, museum, etc, etc, but had never discovered the Juan Diego Chapel...the church continues to hold mysteries.
 
After the Mass, we lit candles for Kim in Mary's chapel...and one for a friend, too.  The little ones are always very solemn while lighting their candles for their Mama...thoughtful, as to where to place their candles and what to pray today, searching for memories that they can give thanks for....
      Then, they crane their little heads, towards the east facing window, placed high on the wall.  For on the windowsill, a dove has built her nest...'It's Mama, watching over us...she loved the doves.'  Yes, we always keep her close...in the sunrises, the morning hummingbirds, the clouds...

                   Cody, Brendon, Breanna, Autumn and Tonio marvel at the Kimmy-like clouds on a beautiful evening at the ball park...
             
                   ...And in the butterflies and lizards...and the sunsets...she's with us in all we do...



 
 
Just love this memory...and photo...Autumn, Breanna and Tonio enjoy a Padres game from the outfield grass area...taking a break from the jumping castles that they have...creating new, 'greatest times' together...
 





 
 
 
 

                               

2 comments:

  1. One thing I'll never forget about Kim is what a cheerleader she was while we tried so hard to get pregnant. I remember she was there at school, on my 30th birthday (Okay, well she was really there for Cody's birthday, but I saw her on that day), when I got a negative pregnancy test following my first attempt at IVF. She was there to (surprise) cry with me but also make me feel like it WAS going to be okay. (So Kim-like). But the better part of the story for me was seeing Kim at school the day after I learned I was having triplets. At the time, being it was SO new and all, I was almost embarrassed to tell people we had seen three heartbeats. I kind of felt like a walking circus act. ( A THREE-ring circus act!) But in my trek across the campus, I passed Kim (on the asphalt, right beside her garden at school, as a matter of fact. It's such a vivid memory, I could literally show you the exact spot where we stood) and I told her we were having triplets. Well you can just imagine her response. She was the best cheerleader ever and I'll never forget how much better I felt after sharing the news with her. :) You can't NOT feel better when you're with Kim.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ami, thanks so much for sharing that memory. Kim was the greatest cheerleader ever - I always felt like her hero, no matter what. I am so glad that she was there for you in these moments. She thought so much of you...I do remember her telling me the news on both of these occaisons...she was SO happy for you when you told her about your 'three ring circus'!! Thank you for all you do for our little ones Ami...I know that Kim is smiling down on us all...

    ReplyDelete