We Climbed before the Klimb 4 Kim...

We Climbed before the Klimb 4 Kim...
1997's Climb

Friday, November 4, 2011

It was a dark and stormy night...



              Remember when Snoopy, the Peanuts character, used to try to write?  Every one of his stories began with 'It was a dark and stormy night...'  I just had that stuck in my head as I tried to come up with a way to tell you about this day last year...

         

The day dawned beautifully...I dragged myself out of bed at 5:45 and, as the sun began to peek over the Rincons, I dragged the bambini out of bed to witness this glorious start of the day...


After I dropped the bambini at school, I raced out to San Xavier...When I spotted it, in the distance, the white dove in the desert, I had that flash back of driving there for our wedding...early morning, all ready about 85 degrees.  When it appears, it stops time and takes your breath away.  I felt all of that this morning, as if it was my wedding day all over again. 


Ivan and Toni, the wonderful custodians, greeted me as I entered the church with my candles to light for Kim.  "She's all cleaned up."  Ivan advised me.  "Thank you."  I managed.  They are so nice and take good care of Kim's photo for me.

It was an incredible day this day last year. One of rejoicing and hope. And promise...

On Nov 4, 2010, at 10:56 PM, <conca5@cox.net> <conca5@cox.net> wrote:

"At last, Dr. Atkinson and Dr. Taetle agreed...it was time to send Kimmy home to her family!! It took most of the day to prep her - they removed her 'pick' line and deactivated her porto-cath. She received injections of steroids, to counter-act side effects from her chemo treatment yesterday. She received Neuropin to stimulate platelet growth and get those white and red blood cells in line. She began taking oral pain medication instead of intravenously - this was a big challenge, as the drain installed to correct the abscess where her gall bladder was removed, cause considerable pain where it passes through the rib cage and muscle. What else? They did a thorough check up on her, taught me how to clean, drain, measure fluid and flush her drain, which I must do 3 times per day until the drain is removed, wrote her a slew of prescriptions and finally signed off on her at around 4 p.m. She was so appreciated of the sunlight (I lent her my sunglasses, though), the fresh air and being in her own clothes. Father Harry, our pastor from St. Pius, visited with us again today and prayed with us. Kim showed him her strength by telling him God had a plan for her and was sending her home today to start the journey towards getting well. Father Harry and her had a great conversation and, I believe, he was invigorated by Kim.
We start the home part of our journey tomorrow - Kim has an appointment to receive a injection of 'nuelasta', which is a longer term, faster acting, shot to boost those red and white blood cells. She also has an appointment to have some blood drawn and tested. We will also consult with her oncologist to plan her next chemo treatment, which should fall around 11/24.
When we got home, I made her favorite, home made chicken soup with campanelle pasta. She ate well. Started a log for all of her meds and dosed her up so she could rest, flushing her drain before she fell asleep. I'll wake her up here in a bit for more medication - every four hours. She's still in considerable pain and resting on a recliner. She's also a little fatigued from the chemo.
The bambini's were so excited. Betsey and Brian, their kids, Hadley and Mitch, and Cody, Autumn and Antonio, worked together with sidewalk chalk to make a beautiful 'welcome home' mural on our driveway. They have really missed her and have been so brave and helpful to me, not just in doing extra chores, but keeping my spirits high so I could be strong for Kim. We are so blessed with these little guys. Tonio thought that Kim was just visiting and would not leave her side until she finally convince him that she was home to stay. Our Border Collie pup, Bella, had to be leashed, as she is a little to much like Tigger and could not contain her joy.
Our neighbors, Betsey and Brian and Amy and Tom, and our 'southwest family', Angie, Andrea, Janene and Kim,  have been so incredibly supportive - picking up our kids at school, feeding them, helping them with homework, getting them ready for bed, bringing them down to the hospital to visit Kim, packing lunches, feeding them again - even cleaning our home!! Angie, Andrea and Janene have made sure that I eat every day while I'm at the hospital visiting Kim.   We couldn't have gotten this far without them. And without all of your support, cards, flowers, gift cards, food that has been made for us, prayers(with prayer groups from Pennsylvania, all the way out to California!), leadership, for us and the help you have given to our kids. We cannot thank you all enough for all that you do!
Phil Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. 7And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Jesus. (Thanks to Bob Johnson, a friend of the McDonald family, for sending me this one)
              Love, Dave"



                  Tonight, I stumbled across the last birthday card that I was blessed to get from Kim...



                        We just always thought that we would escape this world together.  We had talked about it over the years...and had no doubt - whether it was a plane crash, a sickness, a car accident or just old age...we were going together.  And when I found this card, it reconfirmed that...and yet....

                           When we went out back tonight, to light our candles and to say goodnight at Kim's nitcho...the wind was blowing so hard...the clouds swirling, the moon was visible for a moment..."it's amazing how fast the earth moves!"  Cody commented...

"Missing someone isn't about how long it's been since you've seen them last or the amount of time since you last talked. It's about that very moment when you're doing something and you wish they were right there with you."




              

2 comments:

  1. This post brought the tears...so hard to have faith sometimes...

    Unless you were working, you and Kim shared all your moments together...

    I will say extra prayers for you tonight Dave...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Mary...! Dave

    ReplyDelete