We Climbed before the Klimb 4 Kim...

We Climbed before the Klimb 4 Kim...
1997's Climb

Thursday, August 18, 2011

Tonio's memory...

       I know I told you, that I asked Kim to haunt me...I spoke with Lupe and Manny about that last night, wondering, if sometimes I 'stretch' this, looking for meaning in the stars.  Making things into something...like the clouds today...they reminded me so much of the dancers that Kim had once painted so long ago...
       And then, today, I listened to the Offspring's 'Gone Away', for the first time in awhile, remembering how appropriate those lyrics are.  I replayed it several times...and dammit, when I pulled up Kimmy's blog tonight, the jukebox randomly que'd it up - coincidence?  Or haunting?  I'm inclined to go with Kimmy on this one...You could hit play on the jukebox and sing along, if you'd like - I do.  Although I prefer the studio version, it was not available on this particular jukebox...


Gone Away Lyrics
Artist(Band):Offspring


Maybe in another life
I could find you there
Pulled away before your time
I can't deal it's so unfair

And it feels
And it feels like
Heaven's so far away
And it feels
Yeah it feels like
The world has grown cold
Now that you've gone away

Leaving flowers on your grave
Show that I still care
But black roses and Hail Mary's
Can't bring back what's taken from me

I reach to the sky
And call out your name
And if I could trade
I would

And it feels
And it feels like
Heaven's so far away
And it stings
Yeah it stings now
The world is so cold
Now that you've gone away
Gone away, gone away, yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah

Oooooo, yeah oooooo, oooooo, Ohh yeah.

I'll Save Your Soul
Whoa. Yeaaaaaeeeaaeah. Mm.

I reach to the sky
And call out your name
Oh please let me trade
I would

And it feels
And it feels like
Heaven's so far away
And it feels
Yeah it feels like
The world has grown cold
Now that you've gone away
Gone away, gone away, yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah

And, from Aunt Becky, who told me about Happyplace.com:
I had blogged that Kim once wanted to go to clown college!!!  Haunting?  You decide.

        Anyway, I spent the day at school today.  First, in Jenny Rienstra's class (she has a wonderful teaching style and the kids really respond) having the opportunity to grade papers, file, staple progress reports (trying not to peek!) and, my favorite, helping some of the kids read and then take accelerated reading tests on the books they finished (I got to read with Tonio's best bud, Monsi!).
       Next, I walked on down the sidewalk to Casey Rudzena's class (innovative, engaging - a fabulous teacher!) and graded some papers, did a little cutting and filing, deliveries, etc.  It's so nice to give back to these dedicated teachers who give so much to our children.  Especially for all that they do for Tonio and Autumn!!
        After school, as we hopped in our truck in front of a big monsoon blowing in, Antonio piped up "Dad!  I have an idea for Mama's blog!!"...and here it is;

               Two Halloween's ago, Tonio was very sick...too sick to Trick or Treat...he laid in bed, very sad...Kimmy attending to him - sending me out into the land, with Cody and Autumn, so they could knock on strangers doors and demand candy...
               "But Mama had a plan", Tonio remembers..."As soon as I felt better, she dressed me up in the scarecrow costume." circa 2000 - Cody wore this at age three, Kimmy made this!  "She gave a piece of candy to you, to Cody and one to Autumn and had everyone go into their bedrooms.  Then, she held my hand and we walked to Cody's room and knocked on the door.  When he answered I said 'Trick or Treat!' and he gave me a piece of candy.  Then, we walked down the hall to Autumn's room.  We knocked on the door and she gave me a piece of candy, too.  Then, we knocked on your door and you opened it and when I yelled 'Trick or Treat', you gave me a piece of candy, too!!  That was so fun.  And so nice of Mama."
               The mind harbors many more memories than we are capable of having floating on the surface.  Some, necessarily, sink into the murky waters of our minds...who knows what brings them flailing to the surface, demanding our attention??  This was one memory, that I was glad resurfaced for Antonio.  A happy memory.  He was so excited to contribute.  And that was what Kim did.  She took a bad memory, of Tonio being sick for a favorite holiday, and replaced it with an awesome memory!

                The monsoon was good to us tonight.  We enjoyed nearly two hours of thunder, lightning spreading multiple arms across the sky and lots of rain, bringing the sweet smell of the desert...I chose to grill during it.  Wielding my spatula like a mini lighting rod as I grilled chicken and asparagus (thanks for telling me about Janene's olive oil on tin foil with asparagus trick, Angie - I added two cloves of minced garlic, for good measure)...Then, we opened up the house to bring the monsoon in to us...Autumn thought it was chilly as the temps dropped into the 80's! 

                So, it was a good day - the best part for me?  Sharing my home brewed iced tea...And the bambini were all home for dinner tonight, devouring the chicken, asparagus and corn on the cob (sprinkled with Tajin)...as we enjoyed the rains...

                  Love,
                       Dave

2 comments:

  1. What a beautiful post and a look inside Tonio's heart with his memory of Kim. She inspires me everyday to take it all in. Live in the moment and never take anything for granted. Even the little things like the heat of the summer day today I appreciated a little more because of how Kim lived and her life and inspired others. And how you share her with us. Little reminders of it all. Thank you Dave.

    Stefanie (Dever)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that Kim....she was one amazing mother wasn't she? I mean seriously, it's moments like those that I can only hope I will rise to the occasion for my kids the way she did for hers. She really would do anything to make ANYone feel better. I sure do miss seeing her around. Thanks for reminding us of these great Kimmyisms. :)

    ReplyDelete