We Climbed before the Klimb 4 Kim...

We Climbed before the Klimb 4 Kim...
1997's Climb

Thursday, June 16, 2011

Laguna Beach...

          I have a lot to catch up on...I wanted to keep up while we were in Cali, but, could not find the words two nights and the third night, when I was set to fill in some blanks, the hotel WiFi was not working...so, I'm going to get a little out of chronological order, but, bear with me...here we go..

           June 13th, 2011 -

          I woke before sunrise and slipped out of our hotel at the Travelodge Laguna Reef accompanied by Bella.  The bambini snuggled in their blankets and dreaming (yes, blankets!  A. it was only about 60 degrees that morning when I left and B. Isn't it great to CRANK the A/C when you are on vacation???).  We walked through the beautiful ground of the Montage resort across the street from our hotel to get to the beach...and we ran.  Bella loved this time...she splashed in the waves and ran hard...there were only a couple of people on the beach this morning...I ran to see if we'd be able to access the little cove Kim so loved. 
          The tide was up pretty high as I approached the rocks that we'd have to climb to make it to her cove.  I knew Cody could make it.  Not Bella.  I'd have to leave her in our room.  Autumn...maybe.  Tonio - I was going to have to help him and it would be tricky.  The way the waves were breaking, you had a split second to ascend the rocks, scamble to the other side and leap to the beach below.  Tonio is not our athlete.  But, I knew there was no other way, no other choice - we needed to do it for Kimmy.
          I finished running Bella and went back to wake the bambini.  They quickly got ready and we somberly wound our way back to the cove...the tide had come in a little more, but Cody had no trouble making it across.  Autumn got drenched, but made it.  And, at the right moment, I picked up Antonio and threw him on top of the rocks, praying he would no go hurtling over the other side.  Amazingly, he got his balance and deftly leaped to the safety of the beach below!
         We gathered ourselves on the beach of the secluded cove, alone, as a family.  I pointed to the cliffs, with the trailing bougevalias, hearts and flowers and ice plants...brilliant flowers...to the beach, white, soft sands and to the sea, stunning blue, light waves, gently lapping at the beach - each curl of a wave, as it broke, reminding me of Kimmy's eyelashes, as she winked...and the blue/green ocean, nearly the color of her beautiful eyes...
                                  Here is the opening to the cove. Once through the archway, you have to climb the large rocks pictured in the back to drop down to the beach.

                      The plants and flowers cover the towering cliffside, making the cove somehow more Kimmier.

                                 Here's the beach...just us and the birds - seagulls, pelicans...
                                 View of the cove while climbing the rocks...
                                We huddled together, as dawn came upon us, and said the Lord's Prayer together...I asked the bambini, to please remember their Mama, on the beach - her happy place...I told them how much she loves them, and to remember how special she made them feel, every day...never forget.
                                   Each child took a handful of Kimmy's ashes and walked away...
                                   As I scattered the remaining bit into the shining sea, I looked down and saw two, perfect, conical seashells, the spirals highlight in peach...Kimmy.  I told her, if you are really here, send me a sand dollar...the next day, as we sat on Mission Beach, early in the morning, we saw about a dozen dolphins playing in the breakers...I walked to the water's edge, to try to grab some video and looked down and saw a partial sand dollar right at my toes...



            I did not realize that Aut was filming some of this...she's invisible sometimes...like her Dad...Towards the end, you will see me reach into the ocean and find the shells I spoke about...well, I tried to upload it, but it must be too large a file...I let it for 1/2 hour and it was still trying...sorry.
                           
Little blurry, but this was the only sand dollar I saw the whole time and to find two of the shells on the right, in perfect condition, right next to each other...well, you decide.  The peach on the spirals does not come out very good in the photo - I tried with flash, but that washed it out.  I tried on several different color surfaces, too.

The bambini did well.  They had a nice trip.  Autumn, God love her, as we were leaving Little Italy, San Diego yesterday, proclaimed "this was the best vacation ever!"...making the best of everything, just like her Mama...

Love,
 Dave

3 comments:

  1. Wow! That Autumn is something special : ) She will keep you all looking on the bright side as you continue on this journey...

    I got goosebumps reading this, Kim is so amazing bringing you all comfort on your trip.

    We will also be thinking of her when we see the waves in San Diego next week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful read Dave. Especially the part about you, the kids, and Kim's ashes. How tough, yet how wonderful that moment must have been.

    Thank you as always for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dave, once again I am amazed by your strength and the strength of your kids. What a special, yet hard, moment for you guys. You are doing a wonderful job of keeping Kim's memory alive!

    ReplyDelete