We Climbed before the Klimb 4 Kim...

We Climbed before the Klimb 4 Kim...
1997's Climb

Thursday, June 23, 2011

Flotsam and Jetsam

         No, not the eels from The Little Mermaid - if you look up the definition of flotsam and jetsam, you'll mostly find it to mean the floating wreckage of a ship, or its cargo...

        ...and, in 'cleaning up' what's left to write about our trip to Cali, I found bits and pieces unexplored, or that I had forgotten, or recently realized...kind of like flotsam and jetsam in my mind...

          But first, the new playlist.  Thanks Ami, for teaching me about MixPod, so the music for Kimmy's stories would auto-play again!  MixPod, you might note, also has a video feature, one of the bonuses Ami pointed out to me when she suggested it.  Tonight, Cody and I were watching Layer Cake, starring Daniel Craig - a fine, twisting story that will surprise you several times - especially the ending!  One of the songs in the soundtrack was a Duran Duran tune that Kimmy and I used to like - 'Ordinary World' - and as I listened to the lyrics, I thought - I need to put that on Kim's blog tonight.  I found a nice acoustic version that puts the lyrics on the video - just click the drop down box to make it big enough to read with a magnifying glass...

          So, here we go.  First of all - we had a good trip.  Cleansing.  We needed that.  And, if we weren't already tighter, the bonds we have made are even stronger now.  The bambini are amazing.  Jeanne, the owner of Bella Stanza, who's shop I shared with you in last night's blog, emailed me some wonderful feedback on how well these guys behave and get along together - don't get me wrong, they still have their moments, but, it's different now...
        Second, we all came back really tan (and, I use sunscreen now!).  The sun was fabulous - interesting thing though, I seem to have a hole in my tan, right about where my heart used to be...a round circle - about the size of a quarter...or the size of a wedding ring and engagement ring hanging around the crucifix Kim bought me for our anniversary one year from San Xavier Mission...The whole is perfectly round and white against the rest of my tan...I'd take a picture of it to post, but I'm not about to freak anyone out with the sight of my chest!  The rings shielded that part of my chest from the sun, creating a perfect circle. 
        Thirdly, aside from the video on Laguna Beach of us scattering Kim's ashes that Autumn somehow shot without me noticing, she also got some other pretty cool photos - here's some now:
S.D. CA 055
Bella, pre-barf-o-rama...snuggled down for the long ride...

S.D. CA 048
The sand dunes...you know Yuma is behind you and you are on your way to San Diego when you pass these beauties.  Best use of the dunes in a film?  Napoleon Dynamite.

S.D. CA 316
Here we are (turn computer sideways), at Seaport Village, with some giant lobster guy outside of a shop that carried 6,000 different style socks, according to the young lady behind the counter.  Fascinating.

S.D. CA 160
And, outside the little corner restaurant, right on Laguna Beach, that Kim liked to eat lunch or breakfast at.  Cody has his finger up this gentleman's nose.

S.D. CA 240
Autumn was captivated by the road signs "why can't we have a Pacific Coast Highway or Sea World Drive in Tucson?" she asked me one day.  "The street names here are so cool!"

S.D. CA 110
Wyland Museum/Gallery in Laguna.  About 25 years ago, I bought a Wyland whale's tail ceramic piece at a shop on Long Beach Island for Kim...she loved this place.

S.D. CA 114
Antother great street name!

S.D. CA 208
Bringing Kimmy to the ocean...6/13/11 - Treasure Cove, Laguna Beach

S.D. CA 132
Near sunset at Laguna Beach...

    Autumn is such a cutie and she has a pretty good eye for a nice photo - I did not see these until a day or so ago and don't know when she stopped to snap all of these shots.  But I'm glad she did.

     No one left awake to say good night to Kimmy with me...Autumn and Tonio watched Nemo together, while Cody and I watched Layer Cake.  He said he'd be right back and never came back out - he and Bella fast asleep in his room.  A boy and his dog.  The night sky, so brilliant, as always...and still near 90 degrees at 1 a.m.  It's a dry heat!
 
           Love,
                  Dave

1 comment:

  1. It seriously makes me smile how Autumn "looks out for" the fam. Honestly, taking pictures that no one new she was taking...so Kimmy, I imagine. She paid attention to her mom all those years! Glad you had a great trip, welcome home!

    ReplyDelete