We Climbed before the Klimb 4 Kim...

We Climbed before the Klimb 4 Kim...
1997's Climb

Friday, May 6, 2011

Mini Relay for Life

        Everyday there are wonderful reminders.  And beautiful memories.  So many people stop me, during a given day, and tell me how Kim continues to inspire them...I tell them, how much that helps - makes me feel that it wasn't for nothing...and that Kim keeps on giving...
        This morning, at Cottonwood Elementary, they held a mini-Relay for Life - a precursor to next Friday's event at Empire High School.  It begins with a school wide assembly and presentation by the American Cancer Society.  Following this opening ceremony, the students were led to the fields, where over 100 luminarias created a huge circle.  Each luminaria bag had been decorated in memory of or in honor of a cancer victim or survivor.  The students took laps around them, looking at the creative and beautifully decorated bags...



        ...and the students began counting off how many were made for Kimmy...they were so excited as they counted 10...15...20!!....25...28.  28, over 1/4 of all bags, were so caringly and beautifully decorated for Kimmy...
          Through it all, I watched Autumn...first, her teacher, Mrs. Rudzena, stayed by her side, giving her strength and encouragement...then, as the morning progressed, Aut's friends were glued to her side, like insulators - keeping Autumn's smile on her face, glowing like the sun...like Kim's smile...
          I couldn't take my sunglasses off...I was so proud of her...How does she do it?????? 
        
          "No matter what happens...you will always be my daughter."

        It floated into my mind as I watched Autumn walking...and I knew.  I knew exactly how she does it...She has her own mantra. I know it is playing over and over in her head.  Still, though, it is incredible...
   
        And she continues to blossom...tonight, was the first time I dropped her off somewhere - she met Lexy and her friend Hannah at the Desert Willow carnival, where Lexy goes to school and they texted me pictures of chickens and let me know what they were up to...which was cute.  I know Hannah's mom was there nearby and Andrea was working in the library on the silent auction - but, to Autumn, it felt like her first time out.  My 'Little Kim' is growing up!

         Well, I guess Autumn does have a little bit of 'Dad' in her...we finished our night watching old reruns of Saturday Night Live - the Best of Will Farrell...!

           Love,
                   Dave

2 comments:

  1. What an amazing girl Autumn is...she will be such a great support for Antonio in the years to come. To see that smile like her mom must be make each day that much better...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh yes Mary!!! Her smile, as radiant as the sun itself, brings Kimmy right back into our lives!!

    ReplyDelete